Aims of the Group
Between professionals and customers of food supplements, an increasing need of clear and available information is noticed, based on knowledge of the laws, on scientific evidence, on quality certification and constant technical and educational updating in order to handle advising or intake of these products at the best.
In order to address the above challenges in a positive perspective, the Complementary Medicine- Supplements Group was born on 16th of September 2013.Thanks to the contribution of Achille Beretta, Stefano Rossetti, Giuseppe Assogna, Carlo Cristoforetti, Cristiana Giussani, Emilio Minelli, Alessandro Mugelli, Andrea Zangara.
Main objectives of the Group:
- To activate contacts with scientific, political, industrial worlds aimed at analysing in-depth scientific themes on research and education/knowledge in supplementary feeding and phytotherapy
- To promote educational interest and establish a scientific debate on regulatory topics, quality and safety, methodology for preclinical and clinical researches, pharmacovigilance and impact on health economics.
- To raise awareness on security of food supplements and natural products by specific initiatives of surveillance and awareness on risk of interactions with drugs.
- To cooperate – furthermore being active partners-with public and private Institutions with the aim to activate debates together with educational and informative research agendas on the significance of Complementary Medicine with particular regard to food supplements, food for special medical purposes together with herbal substances and preparations.
- To join a group of Professionals in SIMeF with different expertises, both from profession and from cultural-scientific backgrounds, in order to increase and enhance interest and knowledge on this area; with suggestions and concrete proposals on cooperation inside SIMeF and outside with those professionals working in the relevant field.
Organisation of the Group
At present, the main ongoing activities are:
- Quarterly Meetings for updating/deepening for the Group itself, likewise open to SIMeF Associates.
- Presence on SIMeFoggi with focused interviews on matters/themes with respect to complementary medicine-supplements.
- Revision and implementation of web site of the Group by setting up a regulatory and a news database available for all the Associates.
- Arrangement of research activities and educational events.
- Clinical Research and ECs: a survey was targeted to Ethic Committees on status, properties and matters of clinical research in the area of supplements, nutraceuticals, food for special medical purposes, plant products.
- People to contact:
- “Position Paper & Nutracheck up”: the Working Group aims to address the growing need for clear information, based upon knowledge of regulations , scientific evidence, quality certification and on the modalities of scientific communication by a project supporting what already available and in plan by Ministry of Health and the different relevant authorities, as an easy access and performance guidance of food supplement.
People to contact: Cristiana Giussani
- Web page of the Working Group: updating of objectives and activities of the Group; set-up and retention of a News-section, notably with regard to: clinical research, regulations, scientific papers, academic research, news from business sector, educational and institutional conferences and initiatives; set up and maintainance of a documents’ archive.
People to contact: Andrea Zangara, Achile Beretta
- Publications on SIMeFoggi: publication of articles, interviews and news on themes regarding complementary medicine-supplements, with commitment to be present in each number on a bimonthly basis of Notiziario di Medicina Farmaceutica of Society for Applied Pharmacological Sciences.
People to contact: Achille Beretta, Giovanni Abramo
- Educational/Informative Events: organisation of meetings/conferences/seminars on matters and activities precisely of the Working Group.
People to contact: Andrea Zangara, Luca Bucchini, Cristiana Giussani